Monday, July 7, 2014

Prenatal Cocktail

Since the main thing I craved during my pregnancy was vodka I like to refer to the vitamins I took during pregnancy (and still am taking) as my prenatal cocktail.  Seriously I’m not an alcoholic – in fact I’m not much of a drinker at all, but I craved it during my pregnancy.  Didn’t give in to that craving just in case you’re wondering.  

prenatals

I hope you know that you should supplement especially while pregnant since you are growing a person.  That little person inside you is sucking away nutrients therefore you need more!  I chose Shaklee supplements for my pregnancy and swear by them. I had an uneventful pregnancy, pretty easy labor and delivery, a healthy baby, and my recovery was pretty quick too!  I credit this all to Shaklee!

Shaklee’s been around for over 50 years and is the number one natural nutrition company in the USA.  You can read more about the Shaklee difference here.

I am not a doctor but Shaklee has lots of doctors on board and this is what they recommend for pregnancy and my doctor agreed. 

Because the nutritional needs during pregnancy and lactation are unique to this stage of a women’s life, we strongly urge all women who are pregnant or nursing to discuss the use of dietary supplements with their obstetrician.

However, along with our general recommendation to eat a healthy, well balanced diet to ensure pregnant and nursing women are meeting their nutritional needs, we also recommend a combination of Shaklee supplements that can be used as alternatives to a standard prenatal vitamin once discussed with the Obstetrician.

 

An excellent “Shaklee alternative” would be:

2 tablets of Vita-Lea with Iron

2 tablets of B complex for the basic prenatal nutrients, in particular folic acid to help prevent neural tube defects

To provide a safe and beneficial amount of omega three fatty acids (ie. DHA):

3 softgel capsules of OmegaGuard per day are recommended to support fetal brain development

It is not uncommon for some pregnant women to need additional:

1 tablet of Iron plus C can be added providing an additional 18 mg of Iron and 60 mg of Vitamin C

And lastly:

Shaklee 180 meal smoothie prepared as directed, and used as part of healthy breakfast or midday snack provides a mother and her growing fetus with an additional 270 calories, 24 grams of high quality protein and 6 grams of fiber.

Although Vitalizer is a comprehensive nutritional foundation for virtually all adults, there are some components that might not generally be considered essential in a standard prenatal nutrition program. In addition, certain nutrients such as folic acid were not included at levels intended to support a pregnant mother and her growing baby. The use of Vitalizer during pregnancy should be discussed with the Obstetrician, who may wish to suggest an addition 1-2 B Complex and Osteomatrix as stated above if approved for you.

If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant get started with your prenatal “cocktail” today!

No comments:

Linkwithin